Ronald Rolheiser is a Roman Catholic priest and member of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. He is a community-builder, lecturer, and writer. His books are popular throughout the English-speaking world and have now been translated into many languages. His weekly column is carried by more than 80 newspapers worldwide. Prior to this present position, he taught theology and philosophy at Newman Theological College in Edmonton, Alberta, for 16 years, served as Provincial Superior of his Oblate Province for six years, and served on the General Council for the Oblates in Rome for six years. From 2005 – 2020, Fr. Ron served as President of Oblate School of Theology in San Antonio Texas. He remains on staff at OST as a full time faculty member.
B.A. University of Ottawa, 1969, major in Philosophy
B. Th. Newman Theological College, Edmonton, 1973
M.A. University of San Francisco, 1974, major in Theology
M.R. Sc. University of Louvain, Belgium, 1982
Ph.D/STD University of Louvain, Belgium, 1983
Catholic Theological Society of America
Canadian Theological Society
Board, Louvain Theological and Pastoral Monographs Section
- The Loneliness Factor, Dimension Books, Denville, N.J., 1979.
- The Restless Heart, Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1988. This book won the Winnifred Sanford award for 1990 – awarded every 2nd year to the book judged to be the best popular spiritual book in the United Kingdom.
- Forgotten Among the Lilies, Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1990.
- Spirituality for a Restless Culture, 23rd Publications, Mystic, Conn., 1991.
- John of the Cross: The Man, the Myth and the Truth and John of the Cross and Human Development – The Dark Night of the Soul … a Contemporary Interpretation, in, A Fresh Approach to John of the Cross, Edited by John McGowan, London, St. Paul’s, 1993.
- The Shattered Lantern, The Atheism of our Daily Lives and the Path Beyond, Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1994, and Crossroads, N.Y., 1995 & 2000. This book won the Catholic Book Award for best paperback spirituality book, USA Catholic Book awards, 1996.
- Against an Infinite Horizon, Hodder and Stoughton, London, August, 1995, and Crossroads, N.Y., 1996 & 2001.
- Seeking Spirituality, Guidelines for a Christian Spirituality for the Twenty-First Century, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1998. The American edition of this book is entitled: The Holy Longing, Doubleday, New York, 1999. (Now translated into multiple languages) This book won USA Catholic Press book award for 2000, for the best hardback book in Spirituality (May, 2000).
- Hope and Concern: The Church and the Culture on the Eve of a New Millennium, Kelly Lecture, 1999, St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto.
- A Shrinking Horizon: The Deeper Reasons Underlying our Struggles to Believe in God in Western Culture, in LA MISSIONE SENZA CONFINI – AMBITI DELLA MISSIONE AD GENTES, Edited by Marek Rostkowski, Roma, Oblates of Mary Immaculate, 2000, pp.163-190.
- The Restless Heart, revised edition, N.Y,, Doubleday, 2004.
- Daybreaks, Daily Reflections for Lent and Easter, Liguori Press, 2004.
- Forgotten Among the Lilies, revised edition, N.Y., Doubleday, 2005.
- Daybreaks, Daily Reflections for Advent and Christmas, Liguori Press, 2005.
- Secularity and the Gospel, Being Missionaries to our own Children, Crossroad, NY, 2006.
- Our One Great Act of Fidelity: Waiting for Christ in the Eucharist, Doubleday, NY, 2011.
- Prayer: Our Deepest Longing, Franciscan Media, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2013.
- Insane for the Light: The Final Stage of Maturity and Christian Discipleship, Chicago Studies, Summer 2013.
- Sacred Fire – A Vision for A Deeper Human and Christian Maturity, N.Y., Image Books, 2014Winner of the Book of the Year, Catholic Book Awards, 2015; Winner of Best Book in Spirituality, Catholic Book Awards, 2015.
- Standing in Full Maturity: Blessing Others as the Ultimate Mark and Fruit of Maturity, Mary Mulligan Lecture, Loyola University, Los Angeles, Marymount Institute Press, 2015.
- The Passion and the Cross, Franciscan Media, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2015.
- Wrestling with God, Image Books, New York, 2018.
- Bruised and Wounded: Struggling to Understand Suicide, Paraclete Press, Brewster, Massachusetts, 2017.
- The Domestic Monastery, Paraclete Press, Brewster, Massachusetts, 2018.
- The Fire Within, Paraclete Press, Brewster, Massachusetts, 2021.
- On Blessings
- The Many Faces of Fear
- Keeping Incarnate the Paschal Mystery
- The Incarnation: Keeping God in the Flesh
- Dark Nights and Doubts in our Lives: A Failure of Faith – or Imagination?
- Sacred Fire: An Anthropology and Spirituality of Sexuality
- Secularity and the Gospel: Being Missionaries to our own Children
- Creating Sabbath Space in our Lives
- Living in the Image and Likeness of God
- Generative Discipleship: The Deeper Invitation of Jesus
- The Cross of Christ
- The Passion of Christ
- Spirituality and the Two Halves of Life
- Eucharist: God’s Way of Embracing Us
- Adult Christianity and How to Get There (with Richard Rohr, OFM)
Weekly Newspaper columnist in more than 80 Catholic papers in Canada, United States, England, Scotland, Ireland, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
Louvain Studies, Critic, America, Homiletic and Pastoral Review, Catholic New Times, Chicago Studies, and in various popular magazines: Catholic Digest, St. Anthony’s Messenger, Our Family, Spirituality, Wall Street Journal
- Honorary Doctorate, St. Thomas University, Fredericton, NB, Canada 2005
- Honorary Doctorate, St. Paul’s University, Ottawa, ON, Canada 2012
- CTSA Leadership Award, for contributions to Catholic Media, San Antonio, TX 2013
Areas of Specialization
- Systematic Theology – Trinity, World Religions, Christian Anthropology
- Philosophy – Ancient and Medieval, Symbolism, Existentialism
- Mysticism – especially John of the Cross and Therese of Lisieux
- Spirituality – contemporary spirituality, contemporary questions (ecology, feminism, masculine spirituality, religion and culture
Oblate School of Theology
285 Oblate Drive
San Antonio TX 78216-6693